Oral Cancer Screening
At McKeefry Dental we offer the full range of general dentistry services including oral cancer screening using the VELscope® System.
The VELscope® System is one of the latest developments for the early detection of abnormal tissue. The VELscope® revolutionary hand-held device provides the ability to quickly and immediately check the health of your mucosal tissue.
It’s quick, convenient, and pain-free. In just less than 5 minutes your mucosal tissue can be checked for any early abnormalities. And, it doesn't require any rinses or stains.
At McKeefry Dental we are pleased to be one of the leading practitioners offering this advanced oral health care service. This state-of-the-art oral cancer screening system represents an integral and vital part of our total oral care programme.
The VELscope® Screening Procedure
The VELscope® screening procedure is so quick and easy it can be easily fitted into your standard examination.
We simply shine a stream of blue light into your mouth and view the colour of reflected light. Healthy normal tissue views differently within our hand piece than abnormal tissue.
The Facts About Oral Cancer
- In New Zealand 40% more people die of oral cancer than cervical cancer
- Oral cancer is the sixth most common cancer worldwide
- The number of deaths in New Zealand as a percentage of registrations are: Prostate 21%; Breast 29%; Cervical 35%, Oral 40%. This shows the need to catch oral cancer much earlier than it is currently
- From 1989 -2005 in New Zealand the death rates for cervical cancer have dropped by 59%, but for oral cancer, it has dropped by only 31%
The Key Benefits of the VELscope® System
- It detects early changes in mucosal tissue health even before it reaches the surface
- The VELscope® System assists with recognizing the early stages of cancerous tissue
- If cancer cells or changes in tissue health are detected, early treatment is less intensive, and significantly more successful
- If detected early, 90% of oral cancers are curable
- If any abnormal tissue is detected we can immediately take a photograph and send it to your oral surgeon for a biopsy. The surgeon will then have a precise picture of where the problem area is.
If you would like to arrange your initial consultation or you wish to understand more about our oral cancer screening service please Contact Us.